I have a new client who recently guessed their way through a SBS 2003 setup. THEN they called us to fix it. This has been quite the cleanup. I gotta get me a Haz-mat suit. Imagine and enjoy at my expense, some highlights:
- Exchange mailboxes not configured for the POP3 Connector (so email was removed from the ISP’s mailbox, and dropped into Oblivion).
- No backups, no (or patchy) virus/spyware protection (and plenty of spyware).
- Moving from a XP Pro “server”, which fell apart when we tried to join it to the domain (due to loads of spyware).
- XP Home machines trying to use the new server.
- No extra CALs for the 12 user accounts. Yes, that’s 12 users competing for the 5 licenses that come with SBS. “Denied!”
And now (drumroll please)…